Looking for something?

4/28/10

I (Apparently) Don't Understand Fashion Pt. 3: Fannypacks?

I haven't done one of these in some time. Then again, there wasn't such a serious need to write one until now.

This one goes along with the notion that you should never be too sure about what you think you "know". What I mean is, if you were to have asked me a few weeks ago what I KNEW would never ever be fashionable or cool, one answer was clear:


Fannypacks.




I mean, look at that beast! These things are clunky, awkward, draw attention to weird areas of your body in unflattering ways, strictly utilitarian and completely unsexy.

So you can imagine my surprise when I started seeing these things pop up all over Brooklyn. First I saw a girl with a fannypack book bag. I haven't been able to find an image online, but I swear she was carrying school books in it. Yes, around her waist. (I hear that's good for your lower back, right?) But then I saw a lady with a Louis Vuitton fannypack on the subway.

Yeah, seriously. I bet Rihanna looks bummed here because she feels so stupid.

Now, I don't know much about designer bags in general. I think most of them are too bulky and the actual logos are ugly (ignoring the fact that they cost more than my rent). But if you take the normal monstrosities I see some women carrying and cram it into a tiny pouch and strap it to their waist...I don't see how that's stylish. It's a "What were they thinking?" moment. My theory is that "they" (i.e. fashion) ran out of things. Anything that could ever be done in the way of clothing & accessories has been done. There were only two options left: make a trend out of something that should and could otherwise never be trendy or actually come up with a new idea.

And there you have it.
Read more: http://www.blogdoctor.me/2007/02/expandable-post-summaries.html#ixzz1Ygp5vxLJ

No comments:

Post a Comment